Website E.L. Haynes PCS
- Do you believe work environments that foster inclusion and authenticity support all staff to thrive in their roles and maximize their impact on students?
- Do you want to help create a more just and kind world?
- Do you believe that diversity is a powerful strength for a school community?
A proven leader in human resources strategy and implementation. You’re passionate about ensuring excellence in systems and processes that ensure all staff feel supported to thrive and deeply valued in their roles. You have an appreciation for each phase of the employment lifecycle, strong employee relations practices, HR compliance, and systems management. You care about social justice and understand the role of human resources management in sustaining an equitable workplace. You have a knack for building systems, efficacy, and ensuring alignment across functional areas. You have a strong sense of personal responsibility and an affinity for collaboration across multiple individuals and teams.
We are E.L. Haynes.
A learning community where every student – of every race, socioeconomic status, home language, and ability – prepares to thrive in college, career, and life. Together, we create a more just and kind world.
Founded in 2004 and named for the first African-American woman to earn her Ph.D. in Mathematics, the award-winning E.L. Haynes Public Charter School serves more than 1,135 students in grades Pre-K3 through 12th grade. E.L. Haynes operates two campuses in the Petworth neighborhood of Northwest Washington, DC, and offers a rigorous educational program designed to prepare students to succeed in the college of their choice.
We believe that our most significant contribution to ending systemic injustice is through purposefully empowering our diverse community— as individuals and as a collective— with the skills and the conviction to be effective leaders for equity.
Our mission of student success is inextricably linked with our commitment to equity and the daily efforts of every member of our community to live our motto-Be Kind, Work Hard, and Get Smart.
- Lead For Equity: We challenge ourselves and each other to interrupt inequities and build equitable alternatives.
- Choose Joy: We find, bring, and share joy in our work every day. We practice gratitude, celebrate wins, and offer praise.
- Achieve Excellence: We deliver high-quality work every day. We set ambitious goals, embrace challenges, and hold ourselves and each other to high standards.
- Own Our Learning: We model a growth mindset for our students. We own our actions, mistakes, and learning. We continually look for ways to improve and produce high-quality work.
- Succeed Together: We value every member of our community and treat each other with kindness and care. We build meaningful relationships with students, families, and each other. We achieve more through collaboration and teamwork.
We are different. We are:
- A diverse and inclusive community, with nearly 70% of our staff identifying as people of color.
- The hub of the neighborhood. We are a community school and partner with neighborhood organizations to provide our families with comprehensive medical, dental, and mental health services.
- A place where all community members have their voices heard in the decision-making process.
- A school where students learn in a rigorous and coherent PK-12 environment.
Lead Strategic HR Systems Structure and Oversight
- Ensure all employees have access to HR information and tools to support them throughout their employment lifecycle
- Manage employee offer, contract, and renewal process
- Support all staff to access and stay informed of the benefits and wellness opportunities available to them through their employment at E.L. Haynes
- Oversee current HR systems and ensure effective capture and reporting of employee data
- Research, select, implement, and train others on a comprehensive Human Resources Information System (HRIS) that meets staff and organizational needs and ensures employee records management is efficient and meets compliance requirements
- Conduct periodic audits of HR practices and procedures to ensure they are equitable and accessible to all employees
Guide Compensation, Benefits, and General HR:
- Formulate HR policies and procedures and develop plans to communicate them to staff
- Oversee, administer, and update an equitable salary structure and pay structure
- Manage payroll processes and serve as a backup for Benefits and Payroll Manager
- Oversee administration of employee benefits programs, including an annual analysis of each benefit program and an annual open enrollment
- Select and supervise HR consultants, including insurance brokers, carriers, retirement administrators, and other outside sources
- Administer employee retirement plan, prepare annual retirement plan compliance testing, and work with association’s investment advisers
- Conduct audits of payroll, benefits, compensation, or other HR programs and recommend corrective action
- Re-evaluate, innovate on, & communicate all HR investments we make in our people
- Conduct benchmark research to evaluate and recommend changes to individual and company compensation and benefits programs to ensure internal equity and external competitiveness
- Lead compliance with local, state, and federal labor and human relations laws and direct the preparation of requested or required information for compliance with laws.
- Protect the interest of employees and the organization in accordance with HR policies and governmental laws and regulations.
- Lead the implementation of in-house safety programs and training.
Maintain Strong Employee Relations Practices:
- Conduct annual review and update of personnel and other HR policies and practices
- Re-evaluate and implement processes to help prevent and resolve problems or disputes between employees and managers
- Identify and provide training and ongoing support around HR policies; distinguish and support the structuring of decision-making at the local education agency (LEA) and campus level
- Work with managers, supervisors, and employees on employee relations issues, including the discipline process, employee morale, workplace relations, and grievances
- Support the Benefits & Payroll Manager to respond to employee inquiries around benefits and other HR questions
- 5-7 years of experience in human resource management
- Commitment to the E.L. Haynes mission and core values
- Experience designing and building systems and managing through the change management process, including addressing setbacks and maintaining focus in the face of competing priorities
- Demonstrated strength in balancing strategy with application and big picture thinking with minute details
- Experience working independently toward goals, communicating effectively with colleagues, and engaging in 360-degree feedback processes
- Demonstrated ability to lead multiple high-profile and complex projects simultaneously in a fast-paced work environment
- Meticulous detail orientation, organization, and time management
- Experience coaching senior leaders to deal with sensitive and confidential issues
- Demonstrated experience in developing engaging and impactful communications, presentations, and training
- Track record for developing positive, empathetic, and productive relationships with colleagues and customers punctuated by grace, competence, and warmth
- Proficiency with Google Drive and Microsoft Office Suite, an expert in Excel/Google Sheets
You might also have:
- A bachelor’s or advanced degree or specialized certification in human resources, business administration, or employment law
- School or nonprofit human resources experience
- Working knowledge of District of Columbia and federal regulations and employment law
- Experience managing retirement plans
- Oral and/or written proficiency in Spanish
- ADP, Employee Navigator, and/or TalentEd Records experience
We look forward to meeting you!
We proactively recruit, intentionally develop, and deeply value all members of our diverse and highly talented staff community. Our work environment fosters inclusion and authenticity, supporting all staff to thrive in their roles and maximize their impact on our students.
Our hiring process consists of an online application, asynchronous and panel interviews, and written performance activity. Please see more here. We offer a competitive salary depending on experience and qualifications. Learn more about our comprehensive benefits package here. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply by March 1, 2021 for best consideration.
Persons of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit elhaynes.tedk12.com.