Website E.L. Haynes Public Charter School
- Do you want to help create a more just and kind world?
- Do you believe that diversity is a powerful strength for a school community?
- Do you want to ensure that every student can be successful and prepared to thrive in college, career and life?
A kind, communicative, social justice leader that seeks a middle school operations position, with a strong belief that you will prepare students to thrive in college, career and life. You want to support students in order to create a more just and equitable world. You have a growth mindset, want to develop the perspective, agency, and urgency to make a positive impact in the world around you, and take actions that promote justice and equity in your community.
We are E.L. Haynes.
A learning community where every student – of every race, socioeconomic status, home language, and ability – prepares to thrive in college, career, and life. Together, we create a more just and kind world.
Founded in 2004 and named for the first African-American woman to earn her Ph.D. in Mathematics, the award-winning E.L. Haynes Public Charter School serves nearly 1,200 students in grades Pre-K3 through 12th grade. E.L. Haynes operates two campuses in the Petworth neighborhood of Northwest Washington, DC, and offers a rigorous educational program designed to prepare students to succeed in the college of their choice.
We believe that our most significant contribution to ending systemic injustice is through purposefully empowering our diverse community— as individuals and as a collective— with the skills and the conviction to be effective leaders for equity.
Our mission of student success is inextricably linked with our commitment to equity and the daily efforts of every member of our community to live our motto: Be Kind, Work Hard, and Get Smart.
- Lead For Equity: We challenge ourselves and each other to interrupt inequities and build equitable alternatives.
- Choose Joy: We find, bring, and share joy in our work every day. We practice gratitude, celebrate wins, and offer praise.
- Achieve Excellence: We deliver high-quality work every day. We set ambitious goals, embrace challenges, and hold ourselves and each other to high standards.
- Own Our Learning: We model a growth mindset for our students. We own our actions, mistakes, and learning. We continually look for ways to improve and produce high-quality work.
- Succeed Together: We value every member of our community and treat each other with kindness and care. We build meaningful relationships with students, families, and each other. We achieve more through collaboration and teamwork.
We are different. We are:
- A diverse and inclusive community, with nearly 70% of our staff identifying as people of color.
- The hub of the neighborhood. We are a community school and partner with neighborhood organizations to provide our families with comprehensive medical, dental, and mental health services.
- A place where all community members have their voices heard in the decision-making process.
- A school where students learn in a rigorous and coherent PK-12 environment.
We expect students to demonstrate the following skills and qualities in our graduate profile.
ABOUT OUR ACADEMIC PROGRAM
We operate on an extended year calendar with an additional 1,000 hours of academic and extracurricular programming beyond the 1,200 hours that every DC student receives.
Please read more about our academic program here.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Middle School Operations Manager effectively leads our Middle School Operations team in service of the E.L. Haynes mission to prepare students of every race, socioeconomic status, home language, and ability to thrive in college, career, and life. This 12-month, full-time role reports to the Senior Director of Operations, and works closely with the Elementary and High School Operations Managers and the Middle School Leadership Team. The Operations Manager supervises a six-member team of operations professionals.
- Build and maintain a sustainable and equitable team through guiding, empowering, and coaching the Operations Coordinator, Receptionist, Facilities Manager, Food Service Coordinator, and two Security Guards;
- Ensure front office systems are well designed and run smoothly, e.g. attendance procedures, enrollment documentation, student file maintenance, etc.; and
- Serve as the Operations Team Lead in one or more content areas (food service, emergency management, enrollment, event management, etc).
Student, Staff, and Parent Communications
- Support front office staff to effectively communicate critical information to parents;
- Address parent concerns and refer items as appropriate;
- Support the Principal, Assistant Principals, and Middle School leadership team as needed; and
- Create and maintain a safe and supportive physical environment for students and teachers.
Policies and Procedures
- Implement operational policies and procedures for mission-critical functions such as attendance collection, student record keeping, emergency planning, technology support, building support, and financial processing.
- Support and facilitate all daily activities with the school principal including supplies needed, testing support, and daily schedules;
- Participate in all school-based event planning to advise on logistics;
- Ensure event alignment with Local Education Agency (LEA)-wide calendars; and
- Attend events in order to support ongoing logistics.
- A bachelor’s degree;
- 5 years business or school operations experience;
- Knowledge of the K-12 education field (in DC a plus);
- Proficiency in all Microsoft and Google applications, familiarity with Infinite Campus a plus;
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize competing priorities in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong collaboration skills with colleagues in different departments; and
- Managerial and customer service experience preferred.
You might also have:
- Familiarity with DC charter school operations;
- Experience with COVID-19 protocols and emergency management procedures;
- Proficiency in another language besides English and Spanish; and
- Experience working with students, families, and staff from racially, culturally, and socioeconomically diverse backgrounds.
We look forward to meeting you!
We proactively recruit, intentionally develop, and deeply value all members of our diverse and highly talented staff community. Our work environment fosters inclusion and authenticity, supporting all staff to thrive in their roles and maximize their impact on our students.
Our hiring process consists of an online application, an initial virtual interview and a final video interview with a lesson plan demonstration. Please see more here.
Spanish speakers and people of color are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit elhaynes.tedk12.com.