Website Teach Plus
I. Overview of Teach Plus
The mission of Teach Plus is to empower excellent, experienced, and diverse teachers to take leadership over key policy and practice issues that affect their students’ success. The organization empowers expert teachers to advance policy changes and improve instructional leadership and teacher supports; trains and coaches teacher leaders to successfully mobilize and lead teacher teams; and empowers teacher leaders to be change agents among their peers and policy makers. Since 2009, Teach Plus has trained thousands of teacher leaders across the country who are driving policy changes and improving the instructional practices of teachers to create an education system driven by equity, access, and excellence for all students.
II. Position Summary and Responsibilities
Teach Plus research works with teacher leaders and Teach Plus staff in advancing state and national research studies in various education policy areas. In 2019 and 2020, examples of these topics include new teacher mentoring and induction, the recruitment and retention of teachers of color, teacher preparation, and social and emotional learning. Policy topics and issues will vary based on the interests and work of Teach Plus teacher leaders.
Reporting to the National Research Coordinator, the Research Associate will serve as a resource to Teach Plus teacher leaders and staff to help them better understand existing research, develop their own research projects, and conduct primary and secondary research. The Research Associate will primarily support state-focused research across Teach Plus regions. This is a part-time position that can be filled remotely.
Primary research support
- Analyze and manage data from primary research projects, including surveys, focus groups, and interviews.
- Conduct quantitative analyses using statistical programs using Stata.
- Support Teach Plus staff and teacher leaders in representing and reporting on data, e.g. creating charts in Powerpoint, representing findings in a slide deck.
- Other Research and Evaluation analysis and reporting as needed.
Provide research-writing support, including:
- Review and edit drafts of reports and briefs produced by state Teaching Policy Fellows and national Senior Teaching Research Fellows.
- Help fellows apply APA style and Teach Plus brand and style guidelines to their research-related writing, e.g. ensuring figures and charts in reports and briefs follow Teach Plus style guidelines.
Support the Senior Research Fellowship:
- The Senior Research Fellowship program offers alumni of Teach Plus programs the opportunity to advance their research skills by leading their own projects. They also train and support other Teach Plus teacher leaders in conducting their own research.
- The National Research Associate will help support this program by helping to organize monthly sessions and coordinate the work of the Senior Research Fellows.
Secondary research support, including:
- Retrieve research resources for Teaching Policy Fellows in multiple states working on various education policy projects.
- Review and provide advice on sources for bibliographies and literature reviews on various state and national research and advocacy projects.
- Maintain Teach Plus research library on key education policy topics.
III. Skills and Talents
The ideal candidate will have:
- At least two years of education experience, which could include, but is not limited to teaching, graduate school studies, or working in an education organization.
- Experience with education policy or public policy research, preferred.
- Training or experience in quantitative and qualitative research methods.
- Quantitative data management and analysis experience, proficiency with Stata required.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, including demonstrated proficiency in writing and editing reports and other written materials.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to complete projects independently.
- Ability to collaborate effectively among regional and national team members, both in-person and in a virtual environment.
IV. Commitment to Diversity
In order to better-serve the teachers and students at the core of our mission, Teach Plus is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
V. Compensation and benefits
Compensation for this position is $25 per hour. Part-time employees are eligible to participate in the retirement savings plan and receive paid time off which includes 8 vacation days, 1.5 personal days, sick days, 11 holidays, and winter break.
VI. Work Hours and Commitment
This is a part-time position with an average of 20 hours of work per week with a regular schedule agreed to by the National Research Associate and the National Research Coordinator. It is important for the candidate to have consistent availability during the agreed upon work hours. Additionally, this role requires occasional evening meetings to support and meet with classroom teachers.
VII. How to Apply
To apply, please complete an online application found here. The online application will require you to upload a resume and cover letter. The cover letter should include an explanation of your interest in the position as well as a summary of relevant qualifications and experience.
To apply for this job please visit teachplus.tfaforms.net.